Thursday, May 17, 2012

Babies having babies

It's 2 am. I should be sleeping but Emory woke up about 45 minutes ago for a drink, this kid is ALWAYS thirsty. She's snuggled next to me with her feet digging into my side. I need to go to bed but she's restless and I can't sleep until I know she's going to stay asleep.

Anyway the whole point of this post...while waiting for Em to fall back asleep I was browsing Facebook and saw a post about a girl in middle school being pregnant. I was shocked. Do they not realize how HARD parenting is? I was barely 20 when Emory was born and I struggle everyday. I wish I would have finished college before she was born. Life would be a hell of a lot easier if I had. I cannot even imagine having to continue through middle and high school being a mom.

Being a teen mom isn't glorious. Thanks MTV with your stupid shows that are glamorizing teen pregnancy. They make it look too easy. I wasn't a teen mom, barely, but I know many people that were. Its rough. I also blame our sex education in schools. Teaching abstinence is obviously failing our youth. Statistics prove this yet we're still basing our sex education on morals. Leave those out of it. Teach them the facts. If they chose to be sexually active then they can make an educated choice to protect themselves. Parents aren't touching this subject. My mother did. For as long as I can remember she taught me to protect myself. She opened up the line of communication and I am forever grateful for that. I was able to make educated decisions for my health and safety. We need that education in our schools since it's NOT being taught in the majority of our homes.

Yes, I had a child at a young age and before I was ready but I knew what I was doing. Sure these 13 year old's know what they are doing but they don't think about the consequences.  This decision will affect their lives forever. It makes me sad.

I could go on and on and on about teen pregnancy but I'll spare you, all 2 of you who read this.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HATE THAT MTV SHOW!! Haha, no seriously I was telling a girl that I liked a certain name for our baby and she said, "Oh, you can't name it that! One of the girls on TEen Mom named her baby that and she's crazy!" What the?! But the thing is that I even know people who are almost 30 thinking the same stuff as these middle schoolers-I want an accessory, I want someone who will love me unconditionally, I was made to be a mom, I'm old enough--blah blah blah. One day they'll learn. In the meantime, I'ma just sit back and watch a generation go to trash. :( Not saying every teen mom is terrible-just the idea of it...

That Mom Kelly said...

I paved the road for Mom talking to you be being a teen Mom LOL. She never talked to me and even knowing I was sexually active ignored it and didnt take me to the Dr for BC. So you are welcome :P Abstince wasnt tought to us in school, all the girls I know that went to the "pregnant school" 9 out of 10 got pregnant on purpose. Its the girls that are missing something from their lives a lot of times. They need parents that will listen to them, and make sure they know they love them so they dont think having baby will fill that void. (Okay getting off my soapbox now)

Sarah said...

I agree with you whole heartedly! I think it's completely ridiculous the attitude that, not only the government, parents take on sex education! I fully intend to teach my daughter the importance of being smart and being safe, I was lucky and didn't get pregnant when I was a teenager, but that doesn't mean I wasn't really stupid about it. I WISH I had been taught the smart and safe way to approach being sexually active, and I only hope I'm able to teach my daughter to the best of my abilities when she reaches that age. Which is what, 12 now?!?